This kale apple salad is composed from just a handful of ingredients. It’s amazing how the dark green ribbons of kale intertwine with the pale, crisp apple slices, all crowned with a delectable almond honey praline. The bitter juices from the kale strands mingle harmoniously with the apple, while the honey mustard vinaigrette ties it all together in a delicious ensemble.
Table of Contents
Chronicles of Kale
Kale comes in different varieties. This distant relative of cabbage, kale become very popular recently when its health benefits became more obvious. Curly kale, Lacinato kale, and Plain-leaf are a few known types used in the culinary world.
Kale is also a hardy vegetable. Frost-beaten kale leaves are much sweeter and more pleasant.
Kale is very fibrous. Removing the rib and chopping the leaves into slender ribbons, against the grain, makes them more delectable.
Grocery and Pantry List for Kale Apple Salad
Kale Apple Recipe Steps at a Glance
This lavish kale and apple salad recipe can be broken down into the following steps:
Step-by-step: How to Make Kale and Apple Salad
You can put this kale apple salad together a few hour in advance and leave covered without applying the dressing. Dress it up just before the serving.
Step 1: Chopping the Kale and Apples
Remove the rib from the kale leaves and chop them into chiffonades. Put them in a serving bowl.
Slice and chop the apple into thin matchstick size pieces. I am using a vegetable grater that gives me nice uniformed slender sticks. Immediately toss the cut apples in cider vinegar to prevent oxidation and discoloration.
Step 2: Making the Almond Honey Praline
Heat a skillet over medium heat without oil. Place the almonds and toast them for 2-3 minutes until they slightly change to golden color. Keep stirring to toast them evenly.
Drizzle the honey and stir until almonds are fully coated. Transfer to a small plate to stop the cooking and prevent burning. Once cooled down you can break them into desirable pieces, and store in a glass jar.
Step 3: Making the Dressing
Using a fork or a whisk, mix the apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and honey together until everything is fully combined. You want the salt dissolved and honey and mustard mixed with vinegar.
Gradually whisk in the olive oil. This will emulsify the oil and the dressing will become opaque and viscous.
Step 4: Assemble the Salad
Pour the dressing on the bottom of the salad bowl. Place the kale ribbons right over the dressing. Top them with the shredded apple and toasted almond praline. Using the salad tongs toss from bottom to top and mix and make sure that the dressing coats all
Best Way to Serve the Kale and Apple Salad
Tips and Wisdom from Cafe Osharak
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make the salad ahead of time?
Kale: You can wash, and dry the kale in advance. Store in a container wrapped in a clean dish or paper towel. I use coffee filters for my washed salad greens and herbs. You don’t want to chop the kale too soon beforehand because it will start oxidizing and browning and won’t be appealing. I suggest using the chopped kale on the same day.
Apples: Shredded apples also will start browning. Coating them with apple cider vinegar will slow down the process but will not stop it. Use the apples within an hour.
Almond Honey Praline: This topping can be made well in advance in a big batch. Store in a clean jar in a pantry or a cupboard.
Dressing: The dressing can be made 4-5 days in advance and stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Stir to coat with the dressing.
Can you eat kale raw in a salad?
Absolutely, kale reigns as a nutrient-packed superfood, boasting a complete package of vital vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s a good source of manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, and several essential B vitamins.
It’s wise to note that some medical research hints that kale, like its cruciferous companions, could potentially hinder thyroid iodine uptake if consumed excessively.
However, you’re in the clear to enjoy raw kale unless there’s a specific dietary restriction against eating raw cabbage and broccoli, and you are not eating more then 1kg (2 lbs) of kale every day for several months.
How do you make kale salad less bitter?
Kale has natural sweetness along with pronounced bitterness. Mixing the raw kale with the natural sweetness of apple and honey brings out the natural sweetness of the kale.
In addition using vinegar such as apple cider vinegar mellows the bitterness.
Another option is to soak the kale in a ice water bath. Place several ice cube in a bowl of water and place the clean kale into the bowl. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
More Recipes to Try from Cafe Osharak
If you try out this recipe, I would love to hear from you. Let me know if you find it delicious and straightforward to prepare. I am here to answer any questions and provide any suggestions. Also, be sure to explore other recipes from Cafe Osharak, as I’m sure you’ll love them too!
- 3 cups washed and dried kale leaves the leafy part without ribs
- 1 Apple pink lady, honey crisp
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup almonds slivered
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red chili flakes
- Take a batch of kale leaves and chiffonade them into thin strips. Put them in a serving bowl.3 cups washed and dried kale leaves
- Slice and chop the apple into thin matchstick size pieces (alternatively, you can grate using a vegetable grater) and immediately toss with apple cider vinegar to prevent oxidation and discoloration.1 Apple, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Using a fork or a whisk, mix the apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and honey together until everything is fully combined.½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon honey
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil. The dressing will become opaque.4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the arugula and radicchio in a salad bowl and mix them.
- Pour the dressing over, and toss to combine.
Almond honey crunch
- Heat a skillet without oil and add the almonds and toast them for 2-3 minutes until they slightly change to golden color. Drizzle the honey and stir until almonds are fully coated. Transfer to a small plate if not using immediately.1/4 cup almonds slivered, 1 tablespoon honey
Combining the salad
- Pour the salad dressing in the salad bowl. Top with kale ribbons and scatter the apples and praline on top. Sprinkle the chili pepper if using. Mix and toss everything together just before serving.1/8 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red chili flakes