Sun-soaked tomatoes and golden eggs are here to brighten your morning; these shirred eggs are a perfect breakfast dish! With just a handful of ingredients, this simple yet flavorful meal is perfect for brunch or a wholesome family breakfast that’s sure to please.
Table of Contents
Have you ever heard of “Mkhloo”? Also knows as “mkhlu”, “aknik” (little eye), or “mkhlama”? It’s a traditional Armenian breakfast similar to oeufs cocotte, sunny-side-up fried eggs, or poached eggs. This hearty breakfast is cooked in special way: crack a whole egg over pre-cooked greens, string beans, or tomatoes. You might even find eggs gently poached or cooked in clarified butter. Different from season to season, slightly distinctive from region to region, and unique to each household, this iconic breakfast dish has one thing in common – the yolk is kept whole.
Why do I like this Baked Eggs recipe?
This is a perfect brunch or breakfast recipe. It comes together very easily.
Grocery and Pantry List Shirred Eggs
Olive oil: If you prefer using olive oil, you can easily substitute the butter with olive oil or any other type of oil that you like.
Special Tools to Use
Bake in 350°F (180°C) the preheated oven.
Baked Egg Recipe Steps at a Glance
This shirred eggs recipe can be broken down into the following steps:
How to Make Step by Step
Step 1: Making the cherry tomato confit
In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and stir them well in the pan to ensure even coating with the butter. Allow them to soften and become translucent.
While the shallots are cooking, prepare the cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half. You can leave some whole, but it’s essential to have at least a portion of them halved to facilitate the release of their juices, aiding in the confit process.
Once the shallots have turned translucent, introduce the tomatoes into the pan, combining them with the shallots. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, and add a sprig of fresh oregano, thyme, or basil. Cover the pan and allow the tomatoes to stew and cook down.
Step 2: Baking the eggs
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Grease the ramekins with butter, then spoon a generous amount of tomatoes into each one.
Create a well in the center of the tomatoes for the egg.
Carefully crack the eggs and gently place them into the indentations. Sprinkle some additional salt and pepper over the eggs.
Transfer the ramekins to the preheated oven and bake for 7-10 minutes, depending on your preference for the doneness of the eggs.
Best Way to Serve this Baked Eggs
Tips and Wisdom from Cafe Osharak
More Recipes to Try From Cafe Osharak
If you try out this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you find it delicious and straightforward to prepare. I’m here to answer any questions and welcome any suggestions. Also, don’t forget to explore other recipes from Cafe Osharak that you might love!
Shirred Eggs in Sun-Kissed Tomato Confit – Lolikov M’khloo
- 5 cups tomatoes cherry, grape, campari chopped halved
- 1 shallot
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Black pepper
- Chives thyme, oregano
- Step 1: In a sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced shallots and stir well to ensure they are evenly coated with the butter. Allow them to soften and become translucent.
- Step 2: While the shallots are cooking, prepare the cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half. Some can be left whole, but it’s important to have at least a portion of them halved to release their juices and aid in the confit process.
- Step 3: Once the shallots have turned translucent, add the cherry tomatoes to the pan, mixing them in with the shallots. Season the mixture with salt and pepper, and add a sprig of fresh oregano, thyme, or basil. Cover the pan and allow the tomatoes to stew and cook down.
- Step 4: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Step 5: Coat the ramekins with butter and spoon a generous amount of the tomato mixture into each one.
- Step 6: Create a well in the center of each ramekin for the egg.
- Step 7: Carefully crack an egg into each well. Sprinkle the eggs with additional salt and pepper.
- Step 8: Place the ramekins into the preheated oven.